The purpose of the society is to promote growth and development of a viable forage industry for domestic and export markets. It was established to provide a unified voice for forage crop producers, representing all sectors of the industry.
More specifically, the society has the following purpose:
- Economic growth and development of the industry.
- Member involvement in planning and coordinating industry development.
- Establishment of a forum for exchange of information.
- Efficient and effective coordination at the local, provincial and national levels.
- Optimum use of equipment, supplies and services for efficient production, marketing and utilization of forage products.
- Reduce soil erosion and water pollution by the use of forages.
In order to meet these purposes, the BC Forage Council will pursue activities including the following:
- Recommending and supporting policies and programs that will enhance the forage industry.
- Encouraging effective means of communication to inform the forage industry of activities, research results, producer innovations, managment and technology.
- Promoting good management and efficient employment of factors of production and utilizations (e.g. seed, fertilizer, machinery, structures, inoculants).
- Identify research and technology-transfer needs.
- Identify specific needs for genetic improvement of forage crops.
- Identify current management levels and trends in the forage industry.
- Encouraging the formation of local chapters of the Council.
- Supporting the Canadian Forage and Grassland Association and other associations with similar objectives.
- Recognizing individuals who have made outstanding contributions to forage industry development.
- Conducting forage conferences and forage competitions.