Farmers and ranchers in the Central and Northern Interior of BC identified the need to assess innovative pasture rejuvenation practices as a key research gap. There was specific interesting in looking at new approaches to no-till rejuvenation, to evaluate new seeding equipment and management approaches that would build soil health and increase pasture productivity.
Four research demonstration sites were selected, and farm partners designed their own research plot based on their operation’s goal, assets and questions. Farm partners include:
- Goddards Farm and Market (Pineview, Prince George, BC)
- Australian Ranch Ltd (Australian, BC)
- D & S Zirnhelt Ranch (Beaver Valley, BC)
- Chilancoh Ranch Ltd (Redstone, BC)
Funding for this project has been provided in part by the Northern Development Initiative Trust, the Canadian Forage and Grassland Association, the BC Forage Council and the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. Funding is administered by the Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC and the BC Agricultural Research and Development Corporation. This project is part of the Farm Adaptation Innovator Program delivered by the BC Agriculture & Food Climate Action Initiative.
Project Deliverables will be uploaded on a continuous basis. If you have specific questions, please reach out to: email@example.com
The BC Forage Council will be hosting a series of 3 webinars providing insight into the project and relevant information about Innovative Pasture Rejuvenation. Webinars will take place on Thursday evenings, February 11th, 18th and 25th from 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Webinar 1: Project Overview and Producer Panel
- Project Overview & Preliminary Results – Serena Black, BCFC
- Research Farm Partner Producer Panel, including:
- D&S Zirnhelt Ranch
- Australian Ranch Ltd.
- Chilancoh Ranch
- Goddard’s Farm and Market
Webinar 2: Forages and Soil Carbon
- Understanding Soil Carbon and Forage Production – Serena Black, BCFC
Webinar 3: Sod Seeding Pasture Rejuvenation
- Sod Seeding Pasture Rejuvenation – Dr. Bart Lardner, Professor (University of Saskatchewan)
- Time to Rejuvenation Your Pasture? One-on-one sessions with a Forage specialist:
- Grant Lastiwka, Forage Extension Specialist
- Julie Robinson, Forage Friendly Enterprises
- Mike Witt, Witt Precision Ag
Year One Report (Will be posted in April 2020)
2019 Field Days
Field Days were hosted at two of the research plots in the fall of 2019, sharing preliminary results of the research to regional producers.
More than 60 people attended a Field Day at D&S Zirnhelt Ranch at the end of August (an event that coordinated with another BCFC project on demonstration research, in collaboration with the TRU Applied Sustainable Ranching Program).
More than 40 producers attended the Pasture Walk at the Australian Ranch mid-September. Preliminary Year 1 results were shared, and producers also got to explore other on-farm research projects.